April 17, 2016

YSL Volupte Sheer Candy Review and Swatches (15 Rose Candy and 16 Cherise Desir)

You may have seen these pretty little lip balms in my Instagram photos. I love how pretty the casing is. But is what's inside really all that amazing? Read on to find out!




I have the YSL Volupte Sheer Candy lip balms in the shades Rose Candy (pink) and Cherise Desir (dark cherry red).

These smell like a mix of mango, peach, and pink guava. The scent is very fruity and quite strong, so if you're not into fruity scents, you will probably be put off. I love the scent. I sometimes get the urge to bite into the lip balm, but I resist!

In terms of colour payoff, the lip balm only provides a sheer, glossy colour to the lips. The Rose Candy lip balm looks pale pink on me, which is a little unflattering, but Cherise Desir gives a flushed, just-bitten red tint to my lips, which I love.

The casing is beautiful. It's metallic, heavy, and sturdy. It comes in the typical YSL lipstick tube shape. Very convenient to just drop in your bag and go, and very hygienic to use.

How good are they as lip balms? I expected these lip balms to be emollient and moisturising, and wanted them to simply leave a tint behind. However, I was very disappointed to find out these do not moisturise the lips. They are what you can call "lip gloss sticks". They are essentially just shiny, fruity, sheer lip glosses, but don't hydrate the lips, which I find a little annoying since these are labelled "lip balms". They do "wet" the lips, but once you wipe it off, your lips will return to their previous dry state.

These glide on smoothly. They are glossy, but not sticky. They can bleed outside the lip area sometimes, so make sure you check up on your lips often if you're wearing these.

As for lasting power, these usually disappear from my lips within 40 minutes or so.

Rose Candy

Swatch of Rose Candy

Cherise Desir

Swatch of Cherise Desir

Overall, I would not recommend these if you are looking for hydrating lip balms. But if you're looking for something glossy, fruity, and fun, then go for it! These would make great summer lip glosses.

In my opinion, these are not worth the $37 price tag. I will use them up as lip gloss, but will likely not repurchase.

If you have any questions, feel free to leave a comment here or on my Instagram photo for this blog post, and I'll be happy to answer. Also let me know if you've tried these and what you thought of them!

No comments:

Post a Comment