August 13, 2016

Simpli Nikki Lipstick Review (Cassi and Bossi)

Liquid lipsticks are all the rage right now, but let's not forget our classic, traditional lipstick tubes. We don't need to be super careful while applying them, unlike liquid lipsticks, and can reapply with ease. I have been on the search for a great traditional lipstick formula lately, and was super excited to try the Urban Decay Vice Comfort Matte formula out, but I was not very impressed. Then I tried out these Simpli Nikki lipsticks. Did these live up to my expectations? Read on to find out!

simpli nikki lipstick review
The Simpli Nikki mini makeup bag, lipstick in Cassi, and lipstick in Bossi.


Simpli Nikki is an indie brand founded by Ineshia Nikki Potts. She started her brand in 2016 with the shade Bossi, an empowering red lipstick, and later added three more shades. Simpli Nikki is based in Pompano Beach, Florida.

The website description of these lipsticks is as follows:
"Simpli Nikki was created to represent quality matte lipstick that is rich and true to color. They are long lasting and paraben free with a mineral based formula that offers unique dimension and depth to lips, glides on smooth and stays in place for hours without drying out lips."
The lipsticks came in a super cute lip-shaped makeup bag. The outside is striped, and the inside is soft pink satin. It is quite spacious and held both my lipsticks with ease. I can also pop a lip balm or my mini mirror in there. The bag is very well made, and comes free with any lipstick you purchase for a limited time.

The lipstick container looks luxurious. The outside is matte while the inside is shiny. The cap has the Simpli Nikki logo on it. The packaging and the bag are very chic.

simpli nikki lipstick

I received two shades - Cassi (brown nude) and Bossi (red).

The lipsticks have a wax "lipstick" smell. There's no vanilla scent or anything. The wax smell disappears once the lipstick is on the lips.

Both shades went on very smooth, and gave a matte finish with a very slight sheen.

The lipstick formula was not drying at all, and felt very comfortable on my lips. It felt like a waxy lip balm, like Burt's Bees. It wore like my beloved OFRA liquid lipsticks - not transfer-proof, but very soft, light, and comfortable. The formula was slightly hydrating.

The formula is easy-come-easy-go. It's very easy to apply, and very easy to take off. This means it likely won't last all day through meals, but is very easy to remove from the lips and reapply. I like to completely remove the previous layer of lipstick before I apply a new layer, so this is super convenient for me. No additional makeup remover or oil is needed to take them off. This is also great for when I'm just going out for a short time. I just swipe and go!

The lipstick gave me full opacity in one coat, but I went over a second time just to get a good coat. It is indeed rich in colour.

There was some wax secretion from the lipsticks when I got them, but it was super easy to remove, and did not melt or take lipstick away with it. Wax bloom is expected in mineral-based formulas, so I was not bothered.

simpli nikki

The lipsticks are made in the USA and are $20 each. I feel they are very well-priced since I find the formula to be a lot better than matte lipsticks from MAC ($17) or Urban Decay ($17). Plus, you get a super cute bag! They have two other shades - Tangerine (orange), and Girli (pink).

Simpli Nikki provides international delivery.

Cassi:

simpli nikki cassi
Cassi under artificial light after two hours of wear.

simpli nikki cassi review
Cassi under sunlight after two hours of wear.

Cassi is a beautiful warm brown with brick tones. It is my perfect nude shade and I am in love! I did not need a lip liner. There was almost no colour bleeding. This wore really well and was easy to take off. I feel this shade would work across a range of skin tones.

Bossi:

simpli nikki bossi
Bossi under artificial light, freshly applied.

Bossi is an interesting shade of red. It leans cool, but not too cool. It brings out the warmth in my skin tone. This shade was a little hard to work with. I had to apply two coats and be really careful while applying, but that's just the case with most red or deep lipsticks. This also bled outside my lip area a little bit. I advise using a lip liner with this shade. It looked satin for the first few minutes, but then set matte. This stained my lips a little, but was completely off when I used oil to remove it.

simpli nikki review

Overall, I am very impressed with the Simpli Nikki lipsticks and especially the formula, and will be purchasing more shades if/when released, and will be repurchasing Cassi once I run out. The formula really impressed me, and this is my exact idea of the perfect classic lipstick. I highly recommend these!

Where to buy: http://simplinikki.com/

(Disclaimer: This review contains sample products sent to me for my consideration. All opinions expressed are wholly my own.)

No comments:

Post a Comment