April 10, 2016

Kat Von D Everlasting Liquid Lipstick Review and Swatches (Underage Red and Lolita)

If you love liquid lipsticks, you've probably already come across, read reviews of, and most likely purchased a shade or two (or fourteen!) of the Kat Von D Everlasting Liquid Lipsticks. These liquid lipsticks are available at Sephora alongside a plethora of other liquid lipsticks. Are these any better than all the other liquid lipsticks, or are they just okay? Read on for my honest and comprehensive review.

Top: Kat Von D Underage Red
Bottom: Kat Von D Lolita


I own two shades of this liquid lipstick. The first shade I got was Underage Red. I purchased it about a year ago from a Facebook business page. The second shade I got was Lolita, also purchased from a Facebook business page. Lolita is always sold out everywhere, but I've been seeing it marked as "In Stock" on a lot of websites recently. I was super happy to get this because of the hype around it and because it's hard-to-get. We all love hard-to-get things and people, don't we? ;)

Since I have a neutral shade and a red, I can give you a breakdown of the formula of neutral shades and bold shades.


Let's get into the basics first.

The liquid lipstick comes housed in a long tube, The tube is really pretty and is part transparent (so you can see the shade inside) and part "tattooed", KVD style. I am absolutely in love with the design on the tubes. Since the tubes are long, you can easily reach the bottom bit of the liquid lipstick if you're running low or almost out.

The applicator is doe-foot, which is my favourite type since it's so easy to apply liquid lipsticks and lip glosses straight out of the tube with them. They pick up just enough lipstick to give you good coverage.

These liquid lipsticks smell like paint. There's no nice way to say this. They smell like pigments and solvent, and nothing else. The smell fades after the lipstick dries down though, so it's not that big of an issue. I would have liked these to have a vanilla fragrance, though.

These dry down completely and give a powdery finish, which I love. I always feel I have nothing on my lips when I wear Lolita, which is great because I don't like the feel of heavy lipsticks. They stay put and don't transfer.

The powdery finish also means they dry my lips out. My lips were completely moisturized before I did the lip swatches, but you can see my lips looking dry. The little lines as well as creases on my lips are highlighted. This problem can be avoided by wearing lip balm underneath, but let's be honest, most of us would prefer not to do this when wearing liquid lipsticks.

These liquid lipsticks are pretty easy to take off using oil or oil-based makeup remover.

Now I'll be getting into the formula and coverage of each shade, since they do vary with each shade.

Swatch of Kat Von D Underage Red

Underage Red is a crimson red with gold sheen. It looks completely shimmer-free in the tube, but once you apply it, you'll notice a gold sheen. I don't like this since I bought the lipstick hoping it would be a no-nonsense matte red.

This particular shade is very difficult to apply and "get right". Since the formula is thin and the shade is bold, it's very easy to mess up your application. I have never managed to put this on and be satisfied with the result. I once wore it to a morning class because I was in the mood to slay, but ended up with painted guppy lips. I couldn't even get the application right for the lip swatch. If you notice carefully, you'll see there's product outside my outer lip lines. It also smears outside of your lower lip corners, and it's hard to correct the smearing unless you're willing to get oil and a Q-Tip out to fix it (and risk messing up the lipstick around that spot in the process). Application is really hard to master with this particular shade, and perhaps other bold shades in the line.

The colour payoff of this lipstick is great. It gives full coverage, which is pretty pointless though since the result is hardly ever pretty on me. It also lasts a long time unless you eat something oily.

Swatch of Kat Von D Lolita

Lolita is my most favourite liquid lipstick of all time. It is so worth the hype! This is a mauve brown shade which is probably universally flattering. There is no shimmer in this whatsoever.

The formula is thin, which makes it easy to apply the lipstick. Unlike Underage Red, this does not travel outside of my outer lip lines. The liquid lipstick goes on smooth and easy. I can just swipe this on in the morning even if I'm rushing. I think the shade being neutral is the reason it never looks weird even if I accidentally apply outside my lip lines.

This does not give full coverage in one swipe. I can usually still see my natural lip colour (which is pretty pale anyway) through the lipstick. This does not last very long either, and the colour fades in a few hours. But I love the shade and formula, so I wear this only if I need my lipstick to be intact for two to three hours.


Overall, I would like to say I'm pretty impressed with Lolita, and will check out Lolita II and other neutral shades. I highly recommend it. Unfortunately, I cannot say the same for Underage Red, and will most likely stay away from the bolder shades.

Kat Von D Everlasting Liquid Lipsticks retail for $19 each and can be found at Sephora.

No comments:

Post a Comment