July 7, 2016

Colourpop Ultra Metallic Lip Review (Man Eater and Kween)

Colourpop came out with four Ultra Metallic Lip liquid lipsticks on June 23rd, and I was curious and intrigued because I wanted to try out metallic liquid lipsticks but did not want to drop $18 (price for Kylie's and Jouer's versions) on something I may not like.

I was drawn to two shades - Kween, which is a metallic warm brick red, and Man Eater, which is a metallic rose gold with some brown in it. At $6 a pop ($10 here), these really couldn't hurt to try out.

colourpop ultra metallic lip review
Kween (top, Man Eater (bottom).



The liquid lipsticks come in a white box. The tube is transparent so you can see the colour inside. The tube feels nice. The top is metallic. The packaging is like that of any other Colourpop liquid lipstick. I love it, it's very sleek.

colourpop ultra metallic lip

The formula of the two is pretty much the same. These go on super smooth and are very easy to apply. Since these are metallic, I expected the result to be sloppy-looking if applied like a regular liquid lipstick, but that was not the case at all. The brush is different from the brush on other Colourpop liquid lipsticks - the bristles are harder and more spread-out, so it picks up a lot of glitter. I did have an issue with one of the brushes, and I will include that at the end of the review.

These are surprisingly super comfortable to wear! I expected them to feel gunky and goopy since they are metallic, but they didn't feel that way at all. I actually forgot I was wearing anything on my lips. These are not drying at all. They feel a tad tacky/sticky when you press your lips together, but not in an annoying way. They don't tug at the lips. There is no scent added, and when it's on, I can't smell the "liquid lipstick" scent.

These are not transfer-proof, but they don't move around like some other non-transfer-proof lipsticks do. They stay in place. I didn't experience any bleeding outside of my lip lines.

I got full coverage with both of these. I dipped twice for Man Eater, and several times for Kween (because of the brush). My natural lip colour did not show through. The glitter did not settle into lip lines during the time I had it on.

I haven't eaten anything with this on (I usually take my lipstick off before eating). I suppose the glitter will get all over your mouth if you eat with these on, so eat with it on at your own risk. 

This was super easy to take off using oil. Some shimmer particles were left behind.

Both shades made my lips look a little smaller because of the metallic effect.

Man Eater:

colourpop man eater swatch

Man Eater is a beautiful rose gold shade with some brown in it. It is very reflective. It looks great on its own, but I will not be wearing this alone. I will be applying this to the center of my lips over a matte liquid lipstick. I had been doing that with highlighter, but now I have something that's actually for the lips to get the same effect!

Kween:

colourpop kween swatch

What do I even say about this one? This is one of the most gorgeous shades I have EVER worn! It's a nice combination of strawberry pink and brick. The reflect is rose-gold. My mom saw this on my lips and said it looks close to MAC Fresh Moroccan or Viva Glam IV, but with more glitter in it and more red to it. This one is STUNNING and I'm so glad I got this shade! This looked great for all four hours I wore it (without food or drink).

Now here's the issue I faced with one of the brushes:


Do you see it? The brush that came with Kween (red) does not have many bristles. It was very difficult to pick up product from the tube. I had to dip it into the tube over and over while applying, and it picked up very little product every time. Most of the "brush" is the white stick/handle.


The applicator is weird and faulty, but it somehow made application better for me. It picked up very little product at a time, so I was able to apply a little at a time and layer the product on. It made my application very precise, and I had greater control over application. The only issue was applying it to the top lip line. I would have preferred the actual, non-faulty brush, but I don't mind this one all that much to be very honest.

Overall I am blown away by how good these are! I'm really glad these worked for me and I didn't have to spend much to get a great metallic liquid lipstick. If you can catch a restock, definitely get some if you'd like to, these are great quality, comfortable to wear, and look stunning! I really am impressed and would recommend these to anyone looking to try out the metallic lip trend.

No comments:

Post a Comment