June 16, 2016

My HONEST Review of the Kylie Lip Kits (With Proof)

Ah yes, the coveted Kylie lip kits. People go crazy for them, want them for their birthday, and go as far as stealing them from mailboxes. You'd think they are the best liquid lipsticks ever. You've read the title and you probably already know I'm not about to tell you this stuff is made of glitter, candy canes, and all things pretty.

Prior to actually purchasing them, I had read and watched honest reviews, but the reviewers downplayed the main issue with these lip kits, so much so I thought it wouldn't bother me much. What you're about to see may be a little nasty or gross, so if you're very sensitive, you may want to avoid seeing the pictures.





You probably know all about the packaging, so I'm going to jump right into the review of the formula. If you would still like some information on the packaging, I will include that at the end of this post.

The lip liners are easy to work with. They are creamy, but not as creamy as my YSL lip liners. Posie K's lip liner was just okay, and Mary Jo K's lip liner was phenomenal. It's probably the best red lip liner I have ever used. I will use this with MAC Ruby Woo lipstick because my MAC Ruby Woo lip liner is horrendous.

The liquid lipsticks are HORRIBLE. Keep in mind my lips were in the best condition when I used them. Here's all that's wrong with them:

- Kylie claims these are "so light you won't be able to tell you're wearing anything!" Oh you'll be able to tell, alright. These are BEYOND DRYING. I can normally handle drying liquid lipsticks, but this? Holy damn hell. These TIGHTEN my lips like a clay face mask. It tugs at them and shrinks them.

- These smell cheap. It's a strawberry scent, but not a good milkshake or strawberries and cream type of scent. This is exactly what Jordana lipsticks smell like - a tacky, artificial strawberry and berry scent. For $29 I atleast expect a vanilla or chocolate scent. What's worse is the smell LINGERS. For the entire hour I wore these, I could smell the damn cheap candy scent on my lips.

-These were difficult to remove, even with olive oil. They left a red stain on my lips after removal.

- Now because of the drying factor, you'd think moisturizing and exfoliating your lips beforehand or using lip balm with these would be a good idea, but no. Let me tell you exactly what happened within exactly one hour.

Posie K: I used my best lip balm at night (Hurraw! Coconut Lip Balm), and woke up and exfoliated my lips. I then applied Posie K (lined my lips first, then filled in with the liquid lipstick). As soon as I applied it, I could feel my lips dry up. It's like the liquid lipstick was drawing moisture out of my lips. I let it dry before heading out. I stayed out for an hour. I had a class so it's not like I ate or drank anything with it on. When I very gently pressed my lips together in class, I could feel tiny bits on my lips. I assumed it was skin and went "whatever". The entire hour, my lips felt super uncomfortable. I came home and looked in the mirror and welp! The liquid lipstick itself was flaking off! I have NEVER had this happen with any lip product. When reviewers said they experienced flaking, I assumed it was either dry skin or due to moisture from lip balm underneath, but no. It's the actual liquid lipstick that peels out and flakes off and not lip skin. You know how damp rubber eventually gets this layer of rubber which you can rub off? Yes, like that. I swiped my finger over my lips gently and bits of the liquid lipstick came off. You can see below there are some dots and patches on my lips where the lipstick has flaked off and is missing from.

Lips dry as a desert. So fetch!


Can you see the empty spots on the left side?

Dry, tugged lips. Missing bits of lipstick here and there.

Flakies!

Mary Jo K: I did my full face of makeup with Melvita Moisturizing Lip Balm (with argan oil) on my lips. I then wiped off all the excess and applied Mary Jo K the same way I did Posie K. I felt this would make my lips more accepting of the drying formula, but nope. My lips still felt dry and tugged, but just a little bit less than with Posie K. An hour later, there was almost five times the amount of flakes on my lips! This time they were moist, clingy flakes instead of dry ones. The lipstick wore off from the inner part of my lips. Once again, I hadn't eaten or drunk anything.

You can see the flakes already there before me even touching them or rubbing them together.

Lipstick worn off/faded from the inner part of my lips

More flakies!

If you're going to be staying outdoors for more than an hour, will you really be okay with having visible flakes on your lips? God forbid you need to eat something (it will get seasoned with the lipstick flakes from your lips!) or they get on your teeth (or your boyfriend's/girlfriend's teeth). Truly kiss-proof since no one will want to eat lipstick flakes off your lips, unless they're into stuff like that.

So there you have it. Super drying, dehydrating formula, cheap and tacky scent, and flaking within an hour. Do I think these lip kits are worth the hype? HELL TO THE NO.

I really wanted Dolce K, Posie K, and Mary Jo K, so after about six months of drooling over them, I purchased them. I'm a lipstick junkie (in case you couldn't tell by my blog and Instagram name), so these are like collectors items for me, which is why I'm not flipping out or crying or demanding something be done. I have heard of formula inconsistencies (meaning if you order one week, you may get a good formula, but if you order the very next week, you may get a formula like I got) so purchase at your own risk. I'd say get them if you really want to add the "most coveted lip kits in the world" to your collection as a collector's item. But if you're looking for a great quality lip kit, I'd suggest picking up a lip liner and liquid lipstick from another brand and skipping these. These are not worth the hype or the money.

Will I still be using these? Yes, if I'm only going to be out for an hour or so. These cost me a lot of money ($67.5 each) because I bought them from a shop here which stocks them, and I definitely DO NOT think they are worth that kind of money (like you'd spend if you got them off eBay), but I will use them because I spent so much on them. I also really like the colours. I thought Posie K would be too light for me, but it isn't. I do like that these are easy to apply, and the lip liner helps define the lips so I don't have to be too careful while applying the liquid lipstick.

Now that we have the formula review out of the way, let's move on to the packaging details. The liquid lipsticks come in a rectangular box with the lip design and details on it. Inside, there is a separator flap with the lip liner on one side and the liquid lipstick on the other. The lip liner is a good size and the cap is pretty tight, so they won't come off if you drop these into your purse. They have the shade name on them, which is good because if you have, say, Candy K and Dolce K, you might have mixed them up and used the wrong combination. I don't like the fact that these need to be sharpened; I would've preferred a twist-up version. The liquid lipstick tube feels LUXE. Glassy, pretty, and very well made, these look and feel almost high-end. The top is metallic and the whole tube feels pretty heavy. I LOVE the packaging.

Dolce K, Posie K, Mary Jo K.



Not fakes, these are the real deal!

I will not be purchasing any more shades but will use the ones I have because I like the colours, and I will use them in Instagram pictures because the packaging is pretty. My final recommendation is, if you want them just to have them in your collection, go ahead and get them, but if you're looking for a great liquid lipstick, skip these. Also, order at your own risk since packages go missing and boxes arrive without lip kits inside them sometimes.

Let me know if you found my review helpful, and if you have tried the Kylie lip kits yourself, let me know your thoughts on them!

6 comments:

  1. Aww! That's a shame when they're with a price tag of $29. I was contemplating to try them, glad that didn't buy any. I can't stand lipstick that flakes!

    much love... GreenStory

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Charging $29 for such a cheap formula seems ridiculous. Even the cheapest liquid lipsticks are at most drying, but don't flake like this does. Thanks for reading! 😊

      Delete
  2. Thats how I feel about the Anastasia matte lipsticks I've got 2 of them and they did exactly the same thing to me but I guess Im the only one since I havent seen any bad reviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, you're not alone! I've seen several people who had the same issue with the ABH liquid lipsticks. A customer purchased Heathers and it flaked like crazy! I'm glad I saw that because I was about to grab four shades.

      Delete
    2. I feel better now knowing that im not the only one 😜 Thank you so much for your honest review i was actually thinking of buying some of those lip kits but im glad i saw your post i am looking forward for more 😌

      Delete
    3. You're welcome! Glad you found it helpful! 😊

      Delete